Thursday, December 19, 2013

If You Like It Then You Shoulda' Put a Scarf On It.















Outfit Details: Shoes-Express (Now 50% off!) // Jeans-American Eagle // Shirt-Express (Now 50% off!)// Scarf-Burlington (similar here for 50% off!) // Link Bracelet-NY&Co (similar here for 50% off!) // Watch-The Limited (similar here) // Earrings-NY&Co (similar here for 50% off!) // Sunglasses-RayBan 


Okay so here’s the deal…I literally love scarves so much and I have become quite the hoarder collector. I like a wool scarf, a summer scarf, a trendy scarf, a scarf that’s actually meant to keep you warm scarf, and the list goes on. But let’s be serious, wearing a scarf, no matter how “summerish” it is, in the summer, does not interest me as much as I wish it would (it’s too hot people, my neck needs to breath a few months out of the year!). Anyhow, I count down the days and check the weather like a maniac to see when it’s time to pull out the trusty “cherries on top” of my outfits, if you will. I do look at my necklace collection with sadness because I know that scarves will take their place on my neck for the foreseeable future. No love lost though. But seriously, scarfs make me HAPPY.


See how happy scarves make me?!

My personal favorite is a leopard scarf that I snagged for $8 at…Burlington…yes…Burlington. P.s. if you haven’t checked out the accessories at Burlington in a while, please do, your wallet and your outfits will thank you! I also love my “pashminas” and have them in way too many colors a lot of colors. I put “pashminas” in quotes because well…mine are all from Canal Street in China Town and most of the “pashmina” tags fell off years ago. Nonetheless, I have fond memories of finding them on the streets with my sister and smile a little every time I put one on.

I enjoy finding new ways to wear my scarfs and have collected quite the body of research (…my Pinterest page) on new ways to do so. One of my new favorites is the braided scarf. Check out the instructions here.

A braid adds a little extra Polish to this look. 


Now onto the scarf struggle that I have faced this fall in the saga that is “Courtney Vs. Trends Vs. Labels Vs. Wallet”…the Zara blanket scarf. Oh, how much I LOVE these scarves. I love the colors, the fabric, the 100 million ways to style them, and the SIZE. Hello, these scarfs aren’t called “blanket” scarfs for nothing! Who doesn’t want to wear a blanket all day? I certainly DO.  The larger the scarf, the faster it goes into my shopping bag. Which by the way, reminds my of shoulder pads. Why you ask? Well I believe that a trend starts small and as women or men begin to accept the trend and wear the trend, the trend gets bigger and bigger. We want people to notice that we are fashionable and trendy (ladies, we definitely noticed your shoulder pads…). And so help me God, I want people to know how trendy I am by wearing a Zara blanket scarf. So, I bought one and we lived happily ever after.

Kidding. I can’t get myself to spend 40 dollars on a piece of fabric. I just can’t do it. And trust me, I  tried. I must have searched the scarf 1,000 times and put it in a shopping bag at least 5 times. I am one to search out what I want, find it for a good price and bask in it’s glory. I like quality pieces with lasting worth and relevance to my lifestyle. I am not so sure that this blanket scarf fits into my lifestyle very well. I am a teacher and wearing such a large scarf all day may will not last so long. So, I decided to…make my own. And by make my own, I mean getting a yard of fabric and styling it perfectly. So, I searched my local Hancock Fabrics and did I EVER hit the “knock off Zara blanket scarf” lotto! I found the two most perfect fabrics on the sale table (even better, cha-ching, cha-ching!). For a total of less than $8 for two yards of fabric, I left the store with two scarves resembling the ever so coveted blanket scarf. I WAS SO EXCITED (can you tell how excited I was?) that I put one on right in my car! Is it ironic that I had to take off a scarf to put my new one on? Yes No, it means that this gal LOVES her scarves.

The actual "Zara" scarf car selfie...I just couldn't wait!

Thank you for reading! 

--Courtney

No comments: