Monday, December 30, 2013

Taming the Mane

Hair is an inherited trait that, unfortunately, cannot be permanently changed. Believe me, like any woman, I have tried. My natural hair (something my parents can actually be blamed for) is more like a lion's mane-coarse curls. Bad news-I have curly hair. Good news-low maintenance: the texture holds for days.

You can, however, make temporary changes--with a cut, extensions, a perm, chemical straightening, coloring, highlights--which last for several weeks. On the daily, heat tools, like curling and straightening irons, make quite a difference. Even non-heat products like sponge curlers and even, a braid, can drastically change your style.

Check out my hairstyles through the years...


The bob taught me how to use a straightener.
These are my natural curls!
Mastering the curling iron and my first color!




 

















Of course, the clothes, jewelry, and shoes help create a fabulous outfit, but we must tame the mane in order to have a Polished look. So, I want to start with the basics, healthy hair. It's impossible to have a great hair day with brittle, dull, or greasy hair, right!?

Washing & Conditioning
We have all seen those girls that went a bit too long since their last wash. However, washing too often is not the answer!
 
My hair has always been a conversation piece among friends, who, by the way, are always shocked to know how little effort I give to maintain it. When I tell them it has been  5-6 days since my last wash, they always claim their hair could never go that long. I disagree!
 
Much like everything in life, just take baby steps. Start small by skipping 1 day between washes. Then, 2, and so on. Why is this important? Your hair follicles produce oils necessary for hair growth. Since hair is actually dead, lathering up every day strips the root of those natural oils it craves.

Added bonus-skipping the wash, also means skip the blow dry, which may be one of the most damaging things you can do to your locks. Less heat, the better.
 
Styling & Polishing
Now, making your hair last 5-6 days without a wash can present some challenges. Here is a loose guide and helpful tips to making your washes last.

Day 1-3 (Just Washed): Down and Styled
I re-heat my hair each day (in different ways) but I try to leave all of my hair down, I switch up the part, the amount of curl, etc, but my goal is to leave it down.

 

Day 4-5: Hiding the Problem Areas
For me, the front top layer of my hair is the first to misbehave, probably since I touch it the most. So, I try to pull that hair off of my face. I clip back the front pieces, pull it all back with a clip, or bust out a headband.



 

Day 5 or 6: The Last Leg
It has to go up, all of it! Mostly, I use a sock bun or low pony tail. When my hair has lots of curls, I simply take some bobby pins and pin it up. Tossing my hair up helps change up my whole look.

 
 
Bringing It Back to Life
Personally, I do not use dry shampoo. Many people love them, but I don't find them necessary for my hair. Instead, I start with a paddle brush. When waking up, my hair can look like something is living in it um... snarly. Take some time to brush through each strand and smooth everything out {getting the tease out from yesterday}, this also helps bring the shine back.

**Tip: Often, it is when I am brushing my hair out that I realize when a wash is a must or that I can squeeze another day out of it. If I can't make the roots look clean, it's time for a wash.**

When styling, it's the tease that makes it work. {Check out Courtney's tips on teasing hair here.} Teasing adds texture for all day hold. More importantly, it takes away shine from the roots.

And, if I am really pushing it, I add a drop of oil to the tips. It's like using a dry conditioner that allows you to mold and move your hair again, especially after 5 days of product sitting in it. That splurge of hydration gives me smooth hair again. Steer clear of the roots-this can make it look greasy.  

Weekend Wear
I RARELY {like almost never} wash, dry, or heat my hair on the weekends. I really try to keep my hair pinned up and give it a rest. It's a break for me and my hair--what else are weekends for? Reserving at least 1 day a week to let my hair recover from the heat used throughout the week keeps my hair healthy and strong.

Shirt from here ON SALE! // Earrings Brina Box // Necklace here for $17! // Headband Francesca's Collections //


I hope you found this helpful :) Thanks for reading!

--Kelsey

Follow Us On Instagram: Courtney_m_b & Kelseymkipp
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl your hair is gorgeous! Mines flat as a board. I envy yours!

Polished said...

Aw thanks Jana! All yours needs is a bit of a tease. Check out Courtney's article called Tease Me. Also, I find that it's easier to style dirty hair!