Thursday, February 27, 2014

Dark Circles (dun dun dun...)

As an Italian woman, I feel that my dark circles are become more like black holes under my eyes. And worse--with age, I find them harder to cover up. If you read my recent beauty post, you know I have tried to tackle the root of the problem with Eye Hope in a Bottle by Philosophy (which is amazing by the way), but my results are not seen overnight. 

See what I mean!?

So, I have been trying to find a concealer that can truly disguise my dark circles. I was in search of a miracle, honestly. I needed the thickest, most life changing concealer that could make my under eyes appear bright, light, and well rested. On this hunt, I have tried a variety of concealers, then even more highlighters trying to find a solution. Now, I know it isn't concealer, foundation, powder, or even highlighter I needed, it was RED LIP LINER!

That's right beauties, red lip liner. My favorite beauty consultant at my local Ulta store, John, taught me the trick--and I can't wait to share. John, if you are reading this, you are fabulous!!! This is a great tip that I just couldn't keep to my dark eyed self. Women, this is a must try!!! He explained that the dark circles are really a hue of blue, which can be a combination of your blood and really thin skin. The reason I could not find this amazing life-changing concealer to cover this up is because concealers are skin colored. Using the red lip liner and a concealer (exactly the color of your skin) you can apply the mixture to combat the blue hue. Voila you have a dark circle corrector!

Let's begin by when to use this little trick in your makeup routine. After my primer, and right before my full face foundation I use this mixture in a half moon shape under my eyes. {Note: this is unlike my concealer that I apply in a triangle shape down the base of my nose. Keep this just on the dark circle areas--for me, that also includes the inside of my eyes, as seen in the pictures}. Once this genius mixture is ready, I cover with foundation, then concealer and continue with my regular makeup routine.

Step 1: Choose a creamy red lip liner. I am using Too Faces Perfect Lip in Perfect Red. Simply because John recommended it because of its consistency.


Step 2: Add some concealer. This is a darker color than my other concealer to help balance my skin tone. I am using Amazing Concealer by Amazing Cosmetics in Ivory. My everyday concealer is Bare Minerals Light 2. Then, mix them together with a concealer brush. Mine is from Bare Minerals


Step 4: Apply all over the dark circle areas in a half-moon shape. You can see how pink this looks! It has instantly taken away that blue black color.


Step 5: Cover with foundation and concealer.  Viola!



Here is the AFTER!

// Floral Blouse here // Pink Top H&M old similar here // Lips MAC Candy Yum Yum topped with I'm Passionate // Nails Essie Marshmallow //

Is this not the perfect way to Polish off your look!?
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you try this tip. I am now on day 3 and have really seen a difference, especially in my photographs. 

Thanks for stopping by!
--Kelsey

Instagram: @KelseyMKipp and @Courtney_m_B

2 comments:

D said...

I've suffered with dark circles forever and tried everything with no real success. So this basically makes your concealer salmon colored. I did some online research several years ago and found Eve Pearl who said salmon hued was the key. I ordered hers but it was way too thick. Now I'm using Bobbi Brown's two step system and it's the best I've used so far. I have to admit I'm curious about this though and may give it a try but the mixing deal scares me a bit. I'm not the best with makeup.

Polished said...

Hey D! I'm glad I'm not the only woman out there battling this problem. Thanks for sharing about Bobbi Brown product, I haven't tried that before! I was nervous when John first showed me but I really just swipe and dab.... as long as it has a pink hue at the end, I'm good to go! Thanks for stopping by :)

Kelsey