Monday, February 3, 2014

Curls--Done Right

OMG--How is it that thing, you know... life, gets in the way of my Fashion Passion!? Well, my apologies for the delay in the post, but I am feeling under the weather (ugh, this Buffalo weather is taking its toll!). Thankfully, I did accomplish a complete basement overhaul this weekend!

There are A LOT of pictures in this post, perhaps I should be thinking about a video tutorial!? Anyways, this post was before my new haircut, but the curling technique is the same, from the top!

To begin, I section my hair off and ALWAYS use a hot spray. Nothing touches my naked hair. Here, I have Kenra Hot Spray, but have been using KMS Heat Spray. Kenra has a bit of a more heavy texture and takes a bit longer to dry. Just be sure you are using something!



Be sure you hold the curling iron VERTICALLY! When done, pull down. Leave the curl alone until it cools. So, finish curling your whole head before you style.


I always start my curl from the TOP! Start with your curling iron at the root, and slowly twist the rod until your hair is all heated. TIP: it helps to hold one hand at the top for easy control.

Can you see this curl? I try to leave the ends of my hair out of the curl. This way my curls (when brushed out) look like natural waves. 


Just to prove my point--here is the "traditional way" of curling hair. People start at the bottom (including the ends-NO NO) and curl up! 

Look at the difference between these two curls!!! On MY left, you can see the curls is solid from root to tip. The other curl is heavy and really only flips a curl at the tail! Makes a difference, right!?

As I mentioned, I like to leave my curls reminiscent of Shirley Temple herself, at least until they cool. Don't touch, just yet. 



OK... ready for the style.
I use the same teasing brush Courtney mentions in her Tease Me post. I like this one because it is a bit wider. You won't find me without one!

Here I have teased from the bag, added a bit of hairspray, just look at my volume!

...and a little bit on the sides. 


Beauty in the works... now, it's time to blend.



My final product. The teasing element takes a bit of my curl away, but I am OK with that! I need the volume and it helps to make it look effortless! 




Thanks for stopping by! Let me know how this works for you!

Much Love,
--Kelsey

Follow us on Instagram @KelseyMKipp and @Courtney_m_B

No comments: