Monday, January 13, 2014

Blow it Out

Hello bloggers! 
In my last hair post, Taming Your Mane, I talked about healthy hair-avoiding a daily wash. So, when that time of month week rears it's greasy roots, I know it's time for a wash. This is my routine when I wash and blow dry my hair. One (of the many) reasons I try not to wash my hair daily is because of heat damage. Now, the blow dryer is just something I couldn't give up! Can you say volume? By reducing the use of the blow dryer to 1-2 weeks, it's more manageable. 

Clean hair is "naked". There are no products or dirt protecting the hair. Therefore, before I turn up the heat, I like to protect it using a heat protector. Before the blow dry, I like to spray a bit of the TRESemme heat protector.  

Let's make the blow dryer work for us--with a root booster! {I am not a robot buyer--meaning, when a product I use runs out, I like to take the opportunity to try something different. Instead of buying the same products over and over again, I like to see what else is out there.} Here, I am using Big and Sexy Root Boost--I have also tried, and loved, Aquage. To apply, I part my hair several times around the crown and spray on the foam. Don't forget the back, top and bottom.




Now, use your fingertips and rub it all in. 


Remember, my hair has natural curls. When wet, I need to keep brushing it out to prevent the curls.


Now, that the hair is protected and we are using product to enhance the look-blow it out!


I start with my head upside down. My trusty paddle brush helps prevent the curls and manage the hair.



When my hair is ALMOST dry, I swap the paddle brush for a round brush (the bigger the better-isn't that always the case!?). Typically, I blow it out in sections by clipping the top of my hair up and move from the bottom/back to the front facial area. 


When blow drying remember: tension, tension, tension. By using the brushes, rather than fingers, it creates a smooth blow out that helps minimize frizz and fly-aways. For my curls, it's a must. Also, be mindful of the direction of the blow dryer. Here, you can see I angled it downward (in the direction of hair growth and the stroke of the brush) because I am finishing the blow out. Use the power of the blow dryer to your advantage!


Here are my go-to products. 
Instead of the root boost, I often throw in the 24-hour body moose. Just spray a dollop in your hand and rub into your scalp with your fingertips. I like to experiment with different products, that's how I know what works best for MY hair!

Here is my final product (after my curling iron and teasing brush made their debut).

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think :)

--Kelsey

For more fashion and beauty love follow us on Instagram @KelseyMKipp and @Courtney_m_B

No comments: