Sunday, January 5, 2014

Your Closet is Clean, Now Fill in the Gaps (Clothing Edition)

Once upon a time, a fashion follower cleaned out her closet. Feeling accomplished with her new organized goods, she realized her closet was (almost) empty had some holes. Thankfully, she sent the fashion blogger a request for some tips on how to build a wardrobe from the basic level.

(Does this sound like a Geico commercial!?) Well-it's a true story. Thanks again for the requests on articles and topics to blog about, we love knowing we are helping to share our love for all things Polished.

OK, I must begin with a disclosure.... We have all read articles on "staple" items every girl must have within their closet (queue trench coat). But, I must disagree! I'm not sure there is even ONE item, EVERY girl must own. I can, however, share MY staple items, and the articles I believe ladies like me (similar style, fashion preferences, lifestyle, etc) would find valuable in their wardrobe. So, take what works for you, and rewrite the rest to fit your style. Just be sure to Polish it off!

  • In an attempt to be helpful, I have a VERY general list to help guide your through your closet (what's left of it) and your future shopping trips. It may seem like a long list, but keep in mind it incorporates all 4 seasons. 
    • Then, I toss in some specifics from my wardrobe that I love.
(Introducing... in no specific order)

Tops-
  • Collared Shirts: solid colors, prints, anything!
    • These are great for layering, both under and over other articles. Another great option for work or play... I like to stick with silk blouses rather than the "dress shirts". I find these more comfortable and versatile.
  • Leather Jacket: Start with camel, tan, or cream. Why? It goes with black and EVERYTHING else.
    • This is an instant statement piece. I have several options, but find the colors other than black are worn most. Being leather, it has a rougher look, but using a soft color increases the number of uses.
  • Chunky Sweater: Big, oversized sweater to be paired with skinny jeans or a flow-y skirt..
    • I prefer to stick to a crew neck (for layering with a collared shirt) or a turtleneck. I like the basic colors like cream, heather gray, and black. I can add the pop with all of the accessories.
  • Solid T-shirt: Not fitted, just loose enough to look effortlessly Polished.
    • Of course, I have white, which looks perfect with destroyed denim.
  • Chambray: Light and dark
    • This is a new add for me, but I feel like I wear mine everyday. It's denim, so it goes under or over everything! It's so universal and now, one of my must haves.

Pants-
  • Denim: Here are your denim cuts and colors must: skinny dark denim (by the dozen-different washes, lengths, and hardware--the most versatile pant), destroyed boyfriend jeans, wide leg trouser or 70's flare, chose a patterned or colored pair, and don't forget a classic LONG (like wear with heels) boot cut.
    • I can't say enough about the skinny dark denim-it's the most important pair(s) of jeans I own. I can wear them with heels, flats, boots, and-better yet-day and night. If you choose one pair to start with, find this one!
  • Black Skinnies: Why? Dress up, dress down, heels or flats, date night or office look=duh!
    • My favorite is the Sloan pant from Banana Republic, but I have found several great patterned pairs at Target and Limited
  • Black Dress Pants: Boot cut or flare and one long enough to wear with heels
    • Much like the LBD, you need this for LIFE. Wear to work, a party or special occasion, you will reuse these again and again. I typically stick with classic black, but also love a great pair of fine white pin stripes.
  • Black Leggings: Perfect to wear under your big chunky sweater. Just be sure they are not see through-so bend over in the mirror and check out that butt!
    • These save me every time--the Polished yoga/sweatpants.

Dresses & Skirts-
  • The Little Black Dress: Classic and appropriate lines, I don't mean LBD for a club night downtown, I mean one that can go from a date night at a classy restaurant to, yes, a funeral or job interview (when you add a blazer).
    • I found a great LBD at Loft. I can wear it in my "adult life" because of the structure, but spice it up for a dinner date too.  
  • Long Sleeve Dress: At least a quarter length sleeve, I prefer A-line or cinched at the waist and some flow-y pleats.
    • Keep this simple, mine is a solid Kelly green. It can be dressed up or down and used with tons of accessories for Date Night or a day a work.
  • Gray Pencil Skirt: Yes, gray. You have black dress pants and an LBD, right? Gray is timeless and professional.
    • I have  a dark charcoal gray to be worn in the winter, while I have a heather gray option for the summer months.

 
FYI: This is the "clothing edition" of must have items in your closet. So, stay tuned for future posts on jewelry, shoes, and accessories lists.

--Kelsey

Follow us on Instagram @KelseyMKipp and @Courtney_m_b

No comments: