Monday, January 6, 2014

If the Tiara Fits



"Be your own hair trend." I LOVE this! Anybody who knows anything about me knows how much I love my hair. I spent years growing it to the length it is now (I used to have a bob circa Posh Spice) and I am having so much fun experimenting with different styling options. 

Can we talk about a sock bun? Not only do they instantly Polish a look, they are quick and flattering (and great for "ugh, the day before I have to wash my hair" days). I have a soft spot for a bun thanks to my ballet days. I mean, who doesn't want to look or feel like a ballerina? Who is more Polished than a ballerina?

Anyway, a great bun is just that, a great bun. But this week I wanted to challenge myself to create my own hair trend. I thought to myself, "what is the biggest trend that I am shopping for right now?" Answer-necklaces. How could I incorporate necklaces into a hair trend? Well to look like a princess, of course!

My look before. Notice this necklace.

First:
I like to do a bun on unwashed hair. Unwashed hair is more workable and lends itself to styling like this. Create a ponytail at the crown of your head. I try to tighten my ponytail holder tighter than usual to support the weight of the bun, especially because I use an insert.

I try not to put my ponytail too high, but that is a preference. 


I use a thicker ponytail to support the bun.


Second:
Use a sock or an insert (mine is showing some wear and tear, oops!) and place it at the base of your ponytail. Slide it to the top of your ponytail and tuck the end of your hair under. Begin to roll toward your head, smoothing between each roll. Work the bun to the size you want ( I say, the bigger the better!) and use bobby pins to secure.


Make sure your insert or sock is the right size and color for your hair!


Roll downward and smooth the hair as you go.


I pull the ends to the top and secure with bobby pins.


Don't use too much spray, it causes the bun to split in areas that you don't want it to.


See what I'm saying, the bigger the better!


Voila! 
Third:
You can stop at this point and enjoy a Polished bun! Or...keep reading to add some extra Polish to your bun! Take a necklace that has an adjustable chain and fit it to your head, as if it were a headband. This necklace from Target is perfect for this look (not to mention that I grabbed it from the Clearance section). 


Remember this necklace? Now it's a tiara...I mean...headband.







So, ladies, don't be afraid to create your own trends. Hair experiments are a great place to start! You don't have to cut or color your hair to make people notice that you did something new to it. Your hair is  basically your crown. Why not fit yourself with a tiara from time to time?




Enjoy!

--Courtney

For more hair looks--check us out on Instagram--Courtney_m_b & Kelseymkipp

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea! I must try this! Thank you for sharing!

Courtney-Polished said...

Aw thank you! I'm all about starting your own hair trend! Give it a try! ;)