Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Shop 'Till You Drop

People always ask me, "How in the world can you afford to go shopping ALL the time?" And by ALL the time, they really mean, ALL the time. I probably go shopping at least once a week. I used to feel guilty, I mean, I am a teacher, so you know what that means...I'M RICH! In my dreams. I have learned how to buy items that I love at a price that I can live with because I have had to. It's no secret that I LOVE clothing, makeup, accessories, and all things girly, and it is also no secret that these items are expensive and getting more expensive every year. I have reflected a time or two about my shopping habits. "Court, do you really need to shop so much? You have so much! You're so lucky to have what you do! Don't you want to pay your students loans off ASAP?" I am pretty rational, but at the end of the day, I find happiness in shopping and putting myself together, so instead of making myself stop or feel guilty about it, I have learned how to have the best of both worlds (cue the "Hannah Montana" theme song in your head). So from me to you, here's a few shopping rules that I live by!

1.) Don't pay full price. This is my NUMBER ONE, be-all-end-all, not negotiable rule for shopping for clothing and accessories. Honestly, I can't remember that last time I have spent more than $30 on one item besides a watch, coat, purse, or boots. Jeans, necklaces, blouses, sweaters, skirts, dresses, shoes, etc,. all fall within my $30 rule. You name it, I will find it for less than the price tag reads. So how do you do this, you ask? Research! I check my favorite stores websites 1-3 days before I plan on shopping there. Having a plan for shopping is not a waste of time, it is just plain SMART. How else will you know that the sweater you LOVE at J Crew Factory is about to be 50% off AND you can get 20% off your total purchase? Or that the dress pants at Express are on sale and, would you look at that, you also have a coupon, so you will snag them at 60% off retail. And seriously, there is NOTHING better than leaving a store with an item that you love and knowing that you don't have to feel guilty about!

2.) Use coupons wisely. Okay, just because you have a coupon doesn't mean that you have to use it. Sometimes Usually I find that the coupons require you to spend so much money in order to use them. These stores think they are sneaky, but I am onto them. You're always $1.12 short to get the discount. The store loves this because 9/10 someone with grab another item that obviously costs way more than $1.12 and the store made that much more money. To this I say proceed with caution. Don't over do it just to use a coupon. Sometimes it's not worth it and that item will go on sale soon. Be wise, shoppers!

3.) Shop around. I frequent many stores because, well, I like to make shopping an event, and also I like some variety. Have you been eyeing those $30 tights at J Crew? Not going on sale yet? Check out Marshalls or TJ Maxx. Looking for a certain bracelet but they are sold out? Make a beeline to the Target jewelry section. Bottom line, don't buy it if you don't love it or love the price without looking around.

4.) One word, CLEARANCE. I always go straight to the clearance section at every store I am at. We all know that not everything in the clearance section is stylish or trendy (sorry, it's true). So please, just because it is cheap, doesn't mean it needs a new home. However, I have found many of my favorite pieces in the clearance section. Not to mention, a lot of stores with have additional savings on clearance prices, even better.

Some of my favorite places to score a great deal!

Express: Express ALWAYS has coupons, and if you check the website frequently you can find great deals on all items. Don't forget to sign up or a rewards card here. They add up quick and having a reward is like getting free money! 

Loft: Loft clearance section is like my shopping Mecca. The selection is great, and they almost always offer an additional 40-60% off the clearance price.

The Limited: The Limited clearance section is also great. They too will usually offer an additional percentage off clearance prices.

Target: Target clearance and accessories section, enough said! Be sure to download the Cartwheel app for additional savings.

Marshalls/TJ Maxx: Don't sleep on these stores. They have an incredible selection of clothing, shoes, accessories, outerwear, household goodies and basically anything and everything you are looking for.

J Crew Factory: The factory deals are amazing! Plus, you can shop factory prices online. Even better!

Any outlet: Not all outlets have lower prices, however, they are usually always having a promotion or sale. I especially love the Coach outlet! Can't beat the prices. 

What shopping tips can you share?


--Courtney

Check out our Instagrams for more shots of our best shopping deals! Courtney_m_b & Kelseymkipp

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this! I am SO the same. People always make comments to me and my husband "she must be expensive", when In reality I live at target and old navy! You just gotta coupon search and make cheap things look cute!

Polished said...

Jana-I know exactly what you are saying! I love the thrill of a good find without the guilt! People thinking you look expensive is such a compliment when you know you got an amazing deal! Thank you for your comment! XOXO Courtney