Thursday, January 9, 2014

Doesn't Everyone Have a Chiseled Jaw?

Well, I don't! So, I use make-up to give the illusion of high cheek bones, a defined jaw line, and draw attention to my beautiful eyes-minus the dark circles. Ah, the beauty of makeup!
 
Below is my contouring and highlighting routine. I often get asked how long it takes me to get ready in the morning. Most are shocked to hear I have a full-face of make-up (contouring and highlighting included) in less than 15 minutes. Truth is, once you know the tricks, it becomes habitual. When you first try this routine, it might take some time (it did for me). Once it becomes a daily routine, you will see *PROMISE* it only tacks a few more minutes on your routine, but makes a HUGE impact! You must try it!
 
Queue Kelsey without face make-up!
(one day I will be brave and make my naked debut,
today-I have my everyday eye makeup on)

 
 
 
First step, contour (dark areas).
 Just like a painter (I mean, it is an artwork), we want to make the illusion of light and shadow on your face. First apply contour to:
Hollows of your cheeks-Suck in your cheeks and trace the line from your hair to just below your lips.
  • Nose-both sides (from tip to eyebrow) and the tip.
  • Jaw line-Trace the UNDER section on your draw, we want the jaw to be pronounced, so trace under the jaw.
  • Behind the ear-Having a shadow under the ear helps define the jaw bone.
  • Temples-From the peek of the eyebrow to the end.
  • Hairline-trace the hairline around the forehead and blend into the hair.
How cute is this?! ugh!
 I use Lorac Cream Foundation CR&-Tan/Bronzage Moyen. I have tried several products and can't give this up! It's thick and dark; exactly what I need to stay in place, without running, and gives a great shadow.

 
Once my liquid contour is set, I often take a quick fan brush and swipe on some powdered bronzer in the hollows of my cheeks. Once my blush goes on, I cover with a translucent powder to smooth together. I prefer liquid because it goes on exactly where I put it and lasts all day.

 
Now, it's time to highlight!
These are the areas that we want to brighten up and jump off our face.
 
I use Bare Minerals concealer under my eyes because it is thick enough to cover my dark Italian eye circles. For other areas, I use the Lorac Touch Up & Go Concealer/Foundation {this is great because it's light and creamy so it blends well} for:
Middle of the nose and chin.



Some people also highlight their smile lines, mine just don't need any more attention, so I opt out of that one!
 
and/or Bare Minerals Well Rested Face and Eye Brightener {this is an illuminator so it gives just a bit of shine when it hits the light} for:
Eyebrows, cheek bone, and Cupid's Bow.


Now, that your placement is correct, BLEND! This is the most important step. You can either blend all together (contour and highlight) or blend one at a time. I have tried both! Blend with a beauty blend or brushes {you can tell mine are well-loved or tired}.

Caution: Be sure to triple check the check area! I find this area is the hardest to see but the easiest give away that you are wearing too much make-up, and worse, don't know HOW to blend it.

What a difference this makes, right!?




Thanks for stopping by and reading! For more beauty and style tips follow us on Instagram @KelseyMKipp and @Courtney_m_B
 

--Kelsey

Let me know what you think! Comment Below :) 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this because I didn't have a clue how to contour and I've been wanting to learn! I'll be trying this tomorrow. Thank you!:)

Polished said...

Hey Jana-thanks for stopping by and COMMENTING! I hope this helps :) It makes such a difference--good luck!