Thursday, January 30, 2014

Just Wing It



Name an eyeliner trend and I have worn it! Bottom line only, yep. Top lash line only, definitely. Both lines, uh huh. Smudged eyeliner, sure did. Thick white eye liner, hey, I was in 7th grade once, okay. I have experimented with pencil liners, liquid liners, powder liners, colored liners, gel liners, and just about anything they offer in terms of eye lining tools/products. 

I don't tend to do a dramatic eye makeup look very often. I am proud to admit that I love my eyes (ladies, let's all just appreciate what we were given, there's nothing vain about that). The shape, size, and color (thanks, Mom!). So, I try to play up the feature and not do too much. Because of this, I always tend to revert to a simpler and more subtle eye liner. One thing I do know is that I have officially given up on pencil/stick eye liner. These liners go on too thick and I can't get the precision that I want. But, I would keep going back expecting it to be different! Isn't that the definition of insanity? Anyhow, I am more of a brush and powder/gel kind of gal. 

Lately, I have been hooked on cream/gel liners and a winged eye. Something about this eye look is classic, but trendy...totally Polished. People often ask me how I achieve this look without looking costume-y. The truth is, practice. I am no artist, trustttttt me! My drawing/painting abilities have been far surpassed by my 1st grade students (for real). Using a gel liner and a brush is literally like painting. So, what do you do when you're not good at something? Do something else, keep on keeping on and practice!

The tools/products are also important. I find that an angled brush makes the job 123483% easier. A cream or gel liner as opposed to a powder is also my go to because it glides much like paint. 

I use an elf brush and cream liner. I am not one to spend a lot of money on makeup. The bargain shopper in me just can't do it! The total for these products is a whopping $6. Haha, yes, S-I-X dollars. And let me tell you, I swear by these products (which I buy at Target, of course)! The brush works perfectly and is long lasting. The cream eyeliner is smooth, rich in pigment (there is nothing worse than having to keep retracing a perfectly done line for more color, that's a disaster waiting to happen, for me at least),  long lasting, and it doesn't run or smudge (Hallelujah, AMEN).


Find your perfect products here!

elf Angled Brush (I use this)
elf Cream Eyeliner (and this)


Coat all sides of the brush with cream liner, remove excess for a smoother, finer line.


Start at your upper lash line where your inner lashes begin, draw a fine line across.


Start in the middle of your upper lash line and begin to draw a line upward and extend past the outer lashes.


I like the look of a gradual wing. I accomplish this by creating a thicker line toward the outside of my lashes. Make sure it's a continuous line, it should look like one stroke outward and upward.


Voila!


Notice the gradual increase in width.
A simple eye, brows and a statement lip is my new favorite face look.


Thank you for reading! What eye-lining tips and secrets are you keeping?

XO-Courtney

For more makeup looks check us out on Instagram - Courtney_m_b & KelseyMKipp



No comments: